Frequently Asked Questions About Personal and Commercial Insurance

Jones Deslauriers Insurance |


In case of an unexpected event, an insurance policy will help protect you and your family, your car, your property, or other valuables. However, while trying to decide on the right type and amount of personal or commercial insurance, you may have a ton of questions but find answers difficult to come by. To ensure you have all your doubts cleared and are armed with the most accurate information, Jones Deslauriers Insurance has answered some of the most frequently asked questions about personal and commercial insurance. 

1. What is a deductible? 
In the event of a claim, a deductible is the amount you are responsible for paying; it is your share of the cost of repair. For example, if your car insurance policy has a $500 deductible for collision, and there is $2000 in damages, you must pay the first $500 and the insurance company will pay the remaining $1500. 

2. What can I do to lower my insurance costs? 
Increasing your deductible may lower your premium. As a deductible is the amount you’re willing to pay in the event of a claim, by increasing your share of a claim, your premium may be lowered. Other ways of lowering your insurance costs include bundling your home and car insurance, installing a monitored home alarm and using winter tires. Every situation is different, so contact one of our brokers for more details.

3. What can I do to make sure that I have enough insurance? 
Itemizing your home contents is the first step before speaking to an insurance broker. Together you can decide on your insurance needs. This is true for both personal and commercial policies. By providing essential details to one of our brokers, we can determine the right coverage for your home. For example, doing a complete inventory of your home and contents (maybe even getting a professional appraisal) will help us determine the level of coverage and make life easier should you have to file a claim. 

4. In the event of a claim, do my home and auto insurance policies also cover my home-based business needs?
Unfortunately, your home and auto cannot be used for commercial claims. Even if you use a portion of your home as a business office, or use your personal vehicle for work, you most likely need to have separate commercial insurance. Although some insurance policies can extend coverage to small home-based businesses, it is not an automatic process. A personal policy for your home or auto is just that: coverage for non-commercial personal use. Make sure you mention your home-business needs with one of our experienced staff, and we will help to ensure that you are covered in the event of a claim.

If you’re looking for experienced insurance brokers in Toronto, ON reach out to Jones Deslauriers Insurance. With over thirty-nine years of experience, we offer a variety of insurance policies, including home, auto, business, individual, and family insurance through over fifteen insurance providers. To learn more about how we can help you, please click here or contact us by clicking here